Monday, December 17, 2007

a physical sensation caused by the aesthetics of music (a mostly electronic post)

There's a physical sensation I feel when listening to certain parts of certain songs.

It feels like my eyeballs vibrate a little, and a strange flash runs through my throat, the flash feels like adrenaline or something, I'm forced to swallow and the swallowing feels really good, my ears quiver a bit, my eyes close for a second, my breathing feels really good. This sensation lasts like two seconds, maybe.

Here is a song by Boards of Canada (Warp Records) that does this to me:

Boards of Canada - Left Side Drive

I experience the feeling at 00:32. I'm not sure if saying this will ruin it for others. I don't care. One of the first times I listened to this song I was feeling emotional about a girl. It makes me feel like a peaceful idiot sometimes. Sometimes it makes me want to cry softly while walking on a sidewalk and having people notice me crying softly causing them to see beauty in incredible depression or something.

Here is a video by Boards of Canada called Dayvan Cowboy:



Watching this makes me feel really emotional. I want to jump from outer space on to the planet. So bad.

The following song by Dosh causes me the physical sensation. What is this sensation termed? Physioaesthetic experience? I don't know. It's like being really high on drugs for a short amount of time.

Dosh - Naoise

The experience happens at 01:07 and can renew itself repeatedly (intense periods of euphoria) until about 01:35. Dosh teaches children how to play drums and, I think, is on anticon. I talked to Dosh once. He wore a hat and a beard. He toured with Andrew Bird, who I don't listen to.

Too many songs on the 13 & God album (self titled) make me feel like I'm going to cry. I sometimes find it difficult to listen to.

13 & God - Men of Station

13 & God is on anticon. The experience is at 00:31. The album is really good. The song I uploaded is melodramatic. It's a WMA, so you have to get iTunes to convert it. Windows Media Player and Winamp shouldn't have problems with the file. Sometimes I walk into objects when listening to this song and keep walking into the objects like a defective robot until the song ends.

5 Comments:

Blogger daviel said...

ohhh, i know this feeling so well, thanks for expressing it in words, i couldn't even find the appropriate ones to explain this devastating, yet beautiful emotion. i totally agree with boards of canada, and also with 13 & god, even though i think the notwist did their best work so far with "neon golden" - oh dear, "pilot", "consequence", "this room", so many great songs, so many smiles and tears and unbearable sublimity.

December 17, 2007 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger brandon said...

it is kind of devastating

i've had a notwist cd for like 2 years but haven't listened to it yet. i'm sure it's good though.

dose one adds a lot.

December 18, 2007 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Wordlings said...

Dayvan Cowboy shows the odyssey of Joe Kittinger, who leapt from 102,800 feet in 1960. He did not, however, dive in and go surfing -- that's BOC magic. :-)

December 19, 2007 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger brandon said...

wordlings, i read an interview with him awhile ago, when i first watched the video. he said at the top of the atmosphere he saw 'god'

i want to see 'god' at the top of the atmosphere.

i was talking to someone about the jump and i said 'he must have been incredibly depressed to do this. there must have been a maxim in his head that said 'this is worth dying for'. i think this is a depressing thought. maybe not. i don't know. i like joe kittinger for this. i feel 'awe' about that jump.

December 20, 2007 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Wordlings said...

He's just a stud! Whenever you think you can't do something, not up to the challenge...you just look at that image of him 20 miles high, taking that step.

December 20, 2007 at 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home