Sunday, January 20, 2008

Odd Nosdam: a short tour

I have listened to Odd Nosdam for four years. I have listened to every one of his albums, I think. They are all perfect to me.

He has over 5 solo albums.

He's collaborated with a lot of people.

I think he became popular when the first cloudDEAD album was released. cloudDEAD has two albums, one collaborative album, and one live album (that I know of). I'm pretty sure he produced all of them.

I used to listen his album, 'le mix tape' repeatedly. I think, at one point, I listened to nothing but that album for around two months.

It was when I was in Holland. I went to school in Holland for a year. I downloaded the album there.

I went on a three week 'tour' of Europe.

I remember listening to the album at like 3 in the morning, on a train in the middle of some black and snowy plain, or going over a bridge that, when I looked down, I'd see a black river like 60 feet underneath the tracks and light blue snow everywhere, everything feeling bleak and silent and like death. Like infinite loss or something.

We had a compartment on the train. Two German kids were sleeping together, holding each other. A strange man in the corner of the compartment sat upright with a hat over his face, and I sat at the window, looking outside. I felt frightened and horrible. I felt like an earthworm. Or a violent praying mantis. I don't know what it was. But it was good.















We stopped at some desolate station in the middle of Austria or Switzerland or something and it was freezing. The train shut down and the heaters turned off. No one moved, they were all asleep. I felt like I was the only one awake. It was really dark outside. The old train station was just a concrete platform with an old sign that I couldn't read. This happened a couple times. I was listening to Odd Nosdam the whole time. I think I never took my headphones off. Here is a song from that album that reminds me of this experience.


Odd Nosdam - Centipede White


'le mix tape' is different from his other albums, though. The rest are less 'mellow'.

Odd Nosdam does strange things. In a couple of his albums, he has songs that are just long tones, with recordings of gang violence or fights or domestic disputes. I don't know how he got these. But the recordings sound like they come from someone's tape recorder. Like the person with the recorder was sitting on a couch and just watching the fight. You can hear women screaming or someone going insane. Like real loss of control. Humans losing control around each other.

In the song I'm going to post below, at the end, you hear a black guy going totally crazy, saying 'NIGGA WHAT. I GOT SHIT TO DO, NIGGA WHAT. I GOT SHIT TO DO, NIGGA WHAT' and one time, when listening to that part, I became very afraid, and I realized the guy wasn't really saying anything, he was just blaring dominance.

That what he was saying translated, in some animalistic sense, to 'I AM STRONG AND WILL KILL YOU AND YOU ARE WEAK AND I OWN YOU' or something like that.

Something clicked when I had that thought, something about violence and humans and language. Something. Here's the song. It's on the album 'Burner'.


Odd Nosdam - Untitled Two


His most recent album, 'Level Live Wires', has none of that stuff. It's more 'musical' or something. I like it. I don't have much to say about it. I think, through all of his albums, the place where he's retained a certain 'style' is in his drums. I can usually recognize an Odd Nosdam song immediately when I hear the drums.

I can't post a song from this album because I only have .wma files from the album.

Instead, here is a funny video with a song by Odd Nosdam.



Odd Nosdam is on anticon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home